Sunday, May 30, 2010

A day I cannot forget.

At first, I didn't really get the meaning of 'half' or 'quater'(as in 'mixed'). But I didn't really realise I myself am a 'quater'.
Those who don't know, my mom's side of the family is mixed.


Which part of China is my grandfather from?... I dunno myself. Sadly, I didn't even know my grandfather was from China until a few days after he passed away. My mum told me abt his story & am surprised of his talent & interest in music. He plays the Flute(Dizhi), Er-hu(Like me!) & the eh... I forgot what was that called, haha... Anyways, I was also told that my grandfather was actually given a chance to go overseas to study music when he was a young kid. But because he was the only surviving grandson after his 4 other brothers died, his grandmother(my great-great grandmother) didn't allowed that. To think, my own Grandfather had a chance to be a musician, it feels weird. Since he always did lived with my aunt & Me & bro didn't really bond with him.(We rarely got to see him other than CNY)
Two years ago(when i was p6) my dad actually planned that CNY eve was gonna be celebrated @ our house. It was rare for it to be @ our house -since its messy & small & all...- I wanted that year to be special since my grandfather was joining & that is like as rare as money dropping down from the sky(LOL). I wanted to bring my Er-hu back home to perform for him. But before CNY, Grandfather has already been in bad health, he was sent in to SGH. But after a small op, he got better & was sent into a temporary care centre since no one was able to care for him. But, just that 1 day before CNY eve, his condition got worse & was immediately sent back to SGH. I didn't got to visit him that day since it was really late & there was school the next day... On CNY eve, after C.O performance, i rushed home with my er-hu on my back, ready to perform @ home. I was eating lunch with Dad & mom when Dad got a disturbing phone call from uncle. I still remember how the conversation went...
Dad: "Hello? Yeah, Stephen?(Uncle)... HAR?!?!... okay... I'll tell them"
When I heard this 'HAR?!?!' I just wished 'that' didn't happen. But it did. Dad just told mom "Father passed away" in chinese. Damn, that sucked alot!!! I just ran into my room & broke the news to Bro.
After that incident, I really don't wanna touch my Er-hu anymore. I wanted to quit Er-hu.
Its my own fault for not bonding with Grandfather earlier before his health went worse. But for some reason playing the erhu just reminds of him alot. I never got to hear him or seen him play the er-hu before but I had very very little description of how his Er-hu looked like. I saw it once when aunt was moving house -it was the first time I saw the instrument- too bad it was broken.
But who knew I would pick that instrument when I joined KCS's C.O at p2. But then again, my mum forced me to join C.O again when I was sec 1. Man, I wanted to give up @ that instrument.
But still, hehe. I'm still in love with the er-hu's melodies & some times the weird & funny sound it makes. =DD
An advice to you all- cherish the ones u have now... Till its too late.